As unpredictable as life may be, it’s always better to be prepared for the worst-case scenario. Emergencies and disasters can strike at any moment, and it’s crucial to have a plan in place. Having an emergency and disaster survival kit can help ensure you and your family have the essentials needed to survive in case of an emergency or disaster. In this blog post, we will be sharing the must-have items to include in your home emergency and disaster survival kit.
1. Water and food supplies:
The first and most essential items to include in your survival kit are water and food supplies. Ensure you have at least 1 gallon of water per person per day, and a 3-day supply of non-perishable foods. Canned foods, dried fruits, energy bars, and peanut butter are all great options to add in your kit. Don’t forget to include a can opener, plastic cups, and utensils too.
2. First aid kit:
A fully-stocked first aid kit should be the next essential item in your survival kit. This kit should include items such as bandages, gauze, alcohol pads, antiseptic solutions, tweezers, and scissors to help you treat all types of wounds.
3. Essential Medications:
If you or your family members take any essential medications, ensure you have a 3-day supply of them in your survival kit. This includes over-the-counter or prescription medications such as insulin, heart medication, inhalers, and the likes.
4. Flashlights and Batteries:
Ensure that you pack several flashlights and batteries in your survival kit, as you cannot predict how long the power will be out. Also, pack extra batteries for all your devices to keep them functional, including weather radios and cell phones.
5. Portable Backup Power Source:
Another important item to add to your survival kit is a portable backup power source. This can be a power bank for your mobile devices or a portable charger for your car battery. It could come in handy in the case of a power outage.
6. Multipurpose Tools: A high-quality multipurpose tool such as a Swiss Army knife or a Leatherman tool can be invaluable in survival situations. They come equipped with everything from pliers, saws, screwdrivers, and can also function as a can opener, wire cutter or even a knife.
7. Warm Clothing: In addition to rain gear, you’ll also need plenty of warm clothes to protect yourself from cold weather. Include items like a jacket, warm socks and caps, gloves, and boots. If you have children, ensure that you have enough warm clothes for them too.
8. Personal Hygiene Items: Don’t overlook the importance of personal hygiene in a survival situation. Stock your kit with essentials such as toilet paper, feminine hygiene products, baby wipes and hand sanitizer.
Emergencies and disasters are a harsh reality of life, and hope that you never encounter any, but it’s always best to be prepared. By having a well-stocked and thought-out emergency and disaster survival kit in your home, you are ensuring that you and your family are ready to deal with any unforeseen natural disasters or emergencies. Take the time to prepare your kit today, so you can have the peace of mind that you’re ready to handle any situation that comes your way.