What Are the Popular Cuisines in Indian Restaurants?
India is a land of many cultures and with many cultures come many delicious mouthwatering dishes. It is hard to pick the best dishes because each and every dish has its own specialty and uniqueness. Some are spicy and some are sweet. Some are even sour, but still taste excellent. India is the land of spices and mixing them makes cuisines in Indian restaurants finger-licking good.
You can eat whatever you feel like tasting in India. Indian restaurants serve cuisines from all around the world. For example, you can try Big Wong for authentic Chinese and Thai cuisine. As far as popularity is concerned, the following cuisines are far more popular than any other cuisines that are served in Indian restaurants. Here are the most popular Indian restaurant cuisines:
- North Indian: North Indian cuisine is probably the most popular Indian restaurant cuisines. Each and every city and town has a North Indian restaurant. Sometimes even villages have North Indian restaurants. Even the travelers can enjoy North Indian cuisines as there are various road side ‘Dhabas’, which serve authentic North Indian cuisine. North Indian cuisine includes various dishes like Chicken Curry and Butter Chicken for Non-Veg, Dal Makhani, Paneer Butter Masala, and Kadhai Paneer for Veg. For breads, you have Naan, Tandoori Roti and other breads available.
- South Indian: Another cuisine that is readily available is South Indian. South Indian cuisine isn’t just famous in the southern region of India, but in northern India as well. Various multi-cuisine restaurants offer South Indian food and there are specific authentic South Indian restaurants as well. South Indian cuisine includes dishes like various kinds of Vada, Idli, Dosa and Sambhar. They serve South Indian food with various sauces and the most common one is the one made using coconuts.
- Chinese: Although Indians don’t have many Chinese settlers, Chinese cuisine is very famous in India. There are various restaurants all across the country, which serve Chinese cuisine, but it is difficult to find authentic Chinese because most Indian restaurants add some extra spice since Indians enjoy extra spicy food. Chinese cuisine includes variety of dimsums, thukpa, soups, noodles etc.
- Nepali or Tibetan: Although this is mistaken for Chinese at many restaurants, it is actually Tibetan or Nepal, which makes the country-famous momos! Momos are available at small stalls and big restaurants too. Momos come in variety of shapes and sizes and are served with different sauces. Other Nepali or Tibetan cuisine includes various rice types and dishes made from a combination of momos and rice.
- Continental: This cuisine includes the dishes from the west. This is also one of the most popular types of cuisines available in India. People in India crave all the fattening food from the west. This includes various pizza varieties, French fries, burgers, fried wings and other fried chicken. Various fast food chains also operate in India serving continental cuisine.
- Mughlai: These dishes are basically made by chefs from west neighboring countries of India i.e. Pakistan, Afghanistan etc. These dishes have excess of oil in them. The content in these dishes is generally fried and then put into a delicious spicy curry, which is so spicy that your eyes would start to water. But the taste is really exquisite. Their traditional bread is known as Rumali Roti, which is a really long and light bread made of White flour. Having this with the spicy dishes takes the taste of the dishes to a whole new level.
If you have had all these dishes, you know that they are the most popular ones and rightly so. If you haven’t, then you should try each and every one of them.